This technology is not new technology but it is very important in that 50% of the dental offices in this country still use traditional outdated film and chemical development to create Dental X-Rays. Digital X-Rays are captured through a sensor on to a computer and stored in the patient's permanent file. There is no chemical processing as with film X-Rays. These X-Rays can then be shown on a TV Monitior and blown up to full screen allowing the Dentist and the patient to view them together to discuss what the image has to offer.
The advantages of Digital Radiography:
- There is 50% less radiation exposure compared to film
- It is faster allowing nearly instantaneous viewing
- It is better for the environment as no chemicals are flushed down the drain
- The image can be enlarged 50 times larger than film size
- Viewing and understanding by the patient is possible
- Images are stored digitally and can be emailed to other parties; insurance companies or Dental Offices.